Re: CD playing under GNOME - disappointing

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:07:04AM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:

> Try Sound Juicer, version 2.12 onwards can play although it isn't
> designed as a full-time player.  I'd be interested if it was as noisy
> as, or quieter, than Totem.

Sound Juicer is just as noisy as totem. Looking at the strace output,
Sound Juicer is using the CDROMREADAUDIO ioctl, totem is using
CDROM_SEND_PACKET, while workbone is using CDROMPLAYMSF.

Sound Juicer tries to limit the drive speed to 2x (the ioctl succeeds
but I can't tell if the drive honours it or not), totem does not (or it
uses the packet interface instead of the CDROM_SELECT_SPEED ioctl), but
that does not result in an audible difference. Manually trying to limit
the drive's speed to 1x using setcd during playback had no effect either.

workbone does not muck with the CD speed but still the drive is
noiseless therefore it's likely spinning at 1x speed.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences