Re: Trouble with eject and USB devices

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 10:34 -0700, Christopher Desjardins wrote:
> I've noticed that my IPod also experiences this and after I've
> eventually ejected it the device stills gives the impression that it is
> communicating with my computer (i.e. it says do not remove device on the
> screen of the IPod).  I know that at least Ubuntu and Fedora have
> figured out how to properly communicate with an IPod so that it can be
> safely removed (i.e. that warning goes away and my battery icon comes
> on).   Maybe looking into how Ubuntu and Fedora fixed this might shed
> some light on how to what's wrong.

While I can't claim to know whether this is the "official" solution,
from personal experience with setting this up on my system, it seems
that one of the tests that the Ipod uses to determine whether it can be
unplugged or not is whether or not a USB connection is still
established, regardless of the filesystem status. The only reliable way
I've found to get the Ipod to SAY that it's safe to unplug it is to
unload the appropriate kernel module and thereby deactivate the USB
port. (This would probably be one of (ehci|uhci|ohci)-hcd in the
2.6-series kernels)

I don't believe this is a very good solution however since unloading
that module would also cause any other device using that particular USB
connection to lose connectivity. It would definitely be interesting to
see how Ubuntu and Fedora addressed this. Perhaps there's a way to send
a signal to a single USB port telling it to shut off?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837