Trouble with eject and USB devices

Hi,

I need som help tracking down this issue, figuring out if it's a bug, a
misconfiguration on my part or something else.

I have an Ipod (USB device) and when I use eject from nautilus or the
terminal, I get this error message: "eject: unable to open `/dev/sdb2'".

The Ipods are configured in HAL to be ejected, not only unmounted, for
the display to say "It's now safe to remove".

If I run eject as root, everything works fine.

I found an earlier thread about a similar issue, blaming udev, but
before I report a bug I'd like to get this confirmed.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2005/02/msg00058.html

Thanks in advance,

--
Cheers,