Re: Why Gedit's dependency on Python

        Hi,

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 10/2/06, Fang sun <sunfangsolvethis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was not aware. I actually thought another package would provide the
> plugins. Wouldn't that be a better idea than having a bloated text
> editor which is still given the  description of being light-weight, or
> is this in comparison with OpenOffice.org?

 The gedit binary will depend on libpython if built with Python support,
 so I considered it was acceptable to ship the plugins in the same
 package, even if they add some deps as well (on the python modules they
 rely on).
   The alternative would be to build Gedit in various flavors, as is the
 case of vim (vim-full, vim-python, etc.).  This would require some
 work, perhaps moving away of CDBS, so I don't intend to do it myself (I
 do take clean patches though).

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>