Re: Why Gedit's dependency on Python

On 10/2/06, Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 13:05 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 10/2/06, Fang sun <sunfangsolvethis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, Tshepang, there is a pythonconsole plugin, pyton binding and an
> > externalpanel plugin for gedit, which mainly depends on PyGTK.
>
> I was not aware. I actually thought another package would provide the
> plugins. Wouldn't that be a better idea than having a bloated text
> editor which is still given the  description of being light-weight, or
> is this in comparison with OpenOffice.org?

No, gedit itself is ligthweight, that word doesn't talk about
dependencies, but about memory footprint and features, etc.  (Ie. it
doesn't include implementation of LISP, which every decent text editor
must have :-).

I am having about 20KB of files open here and Gedit cunsumes 35MB
which includes 3MB of shared memory. It also takes noticeably-long to
start up, even on a P4 2.6 GHz. It also has a handful of features
which include those that Fang sun has mentioned above. I actually had
an idea that Gedit's 'light-weight' description is just a result of
history instead of the current situation.

You are pulling whole GNOME just for Gedit anyway, and there are already
many other packages depending on gnome which are in base GNOME
installation (like alacarte menu editor which got promoted to be in
default GNOME).

If you really want dependency-lightweight editor you should try leafpad,
which uses just gtk2.0.

I'll try that one...