Re: renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

Le dimanche 30 juillet 2006 à 11:51 +0200, Bastian Venthur a écrit :
> > I'd say it is better to conform to this naming scheme unless there is a
> > good reason not to do so. It is just more clear for users.
>
> I've given some arguments yesterday. The renaming would be painless and
> a smooth upgrade without user interaction is possible [1].

This is not the point. The point is to have all engines fit in the same
naming scheme.

> No I don't see any reasons to split the package. It is intended for KDE
> users and provides full functionality as it is for them. Splitting it up
> would make things only more complicated.

But it would allow to use this engine for non-KDE users.

> Maybe some official document describing the features a package must have
> to fit into the gtk2-engines naming scheme would help to clear the
> situation.

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libfoo.so
If you have such a file, I think it's better to follow the naming
scheme. There isn't any kind of policy on this matter anyway, and given
the small number of such packages, we don't need one.

> Please note that I'm not against the naming schemes. More than the half
> of my packages follows the KDE-naming scheme. But in this case I just
> don't see gtk-qt-engines fit into the current scheme.

Frankly, I don't care much; this is your package, you name it as you
want to. You're asking for advice from GNOME people, and my *personal*
advice is to not change the package name. You shouldn't waste your time
trying to convince me, because even if you do, that won't change
anything :)