Re: renaming gtk2-engines-gtk-qt

Le samedi 29 juillet 2006 à 16:11 +0200, Bastian Venthur a écrit :
> Hi devs,
>
> I've adopted the package gtk-qt-engine a few days ago and wonder why the
> binary is actually named "gtk2-engines-gtk-qt". I'm not really happy
> with this name and would like to rename the package back to upstreams
> name "gtk-qt-engine".
>
> Here some thoughts:
>
> First, the package is not really a gnome package since it's mostly
> interesting for KDE users. So the gtk2-engines-naming scheme is a bit
> misleading. Especially for gnome-users just browsing for gnome-themes or
> KDE-users searching directly for the gtk-qt-engine.
>
> Second, the package is not really a gtk2-theme. In fact it provides a
> program for the KDE control center which allows to chose one of the
> available gnome themes OR the "look-like-QT-theme" for gtk apps.
>
> I'm not sure why the former maintainer of this package decided to name
> the package this way. I've asked him and he is not sure anymore but
> seems to be uncomfortable with the name as well today.
>
> I'd really like to rename the package back to "gtk-qt-engine", but since
> I'm not sure why the package has it's current name, I ask on this list.

As I've already told you in private on friday, this naming scheme didn't
came from the GNOME team, but originally GTK1 themes were named
gtk-engines-foo, and GTK2 themes gtk2-engines-foo. Currently most of
them have been merged in the gtk2-engines package.

I'd say it is better to conform to this naming scheme unless there is a
good reason not to do so. It is just more clear for users.

Now, if the package isn't only a gtk2 engine, maybe it's worth being
split into 2 parts. However renaming to gtk-qt-engine, breaking the
naming scheme just to have the same name as the source package, seems
pretty counterproductive to me.