libgda status

Hi,
I was wondering what the status is with the libgda library. It appears
that a new version, 1.3.91, is available from upstream (and there is
work going on on the 1.9.x development branch (perhaps?)- presumably for
the next gnome release). Does anyone have plans to package the 1.3.91
release for etch?

I notice that new upstreams for useful tools like mergeant are
unpackageable until the newer library is available :(

Sadly, my packaging skills are almost zero, and the naive update of
libgda (uupdate -u <tarball>) didn't take- I get a linkage error with
some fancy-dan new feature in the 1.3 stream. Has anyone else had better
luck with this?

Thanks,
Christian