Re: Massive testing breakage; unstable: no text in GnuCash or E16

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 10:05 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 19:21 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> >
> > My latest testing dist-upgrade on Sunday proved a disaster: X crashed
> > once, then locked up the display though I could get in via ssh;
> > rebooted, but this repeated several times.  No point in filing a bug, as
> > it's likely due to the X transition...
>
> Might still be useful to prevent similar problems in the future.

Okay, because gnucash doesn't work on the unstable box, I've recently
put a little time into getting the etch box working.  If I do a failsafe
xterm session, I can start E and gnome-panel, just fine.  But there's no
icon theme, the gtk+ theme is wrong, and the keyboard layout is not the
dvorak one I like (though of course I can xmodmap it).

So I tried starting E, then gnome-settings-daemon, then when I run
gnome-panel, bam!  X crash, framebuffer problems, and kernel panic on
warm reboot.

Does this give any hints on what might be wrong in etch?  Where do I
file the bugs?  I don't think this has anything to do with E...

FWIW, a friend here at MIT has switched to KDE, and the family of a
colleague at Northeastern is considering dropping GNU/Linux entirely
(much to my colleague's chagrin) because of the breakage in this
transition.  Next time we upgrade, can we please stage it through
experimental, like the very smooth 2.6 and 2.8 transitions?  This
piecemeal approach has caused a ton of problems, and yes testing and
unstable have those names for a reason, but avoiding preventable
breakage would be most welcome.

Thanks,
-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html