Re: debug symbols for gnome apps

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> The only arguably significant problem would seem to be with Packages.gz,
> and I'm not sure a couple more -dbg packages would really matter for
> that.

 I counted around 130 packages under pkg-gnome, so it's simply not
 something applicable on all of GNOME as is.  Of course we can continue
 adding -dbg packages for the important stuff, it just doesn't scale.
 (And that's only for pkg-gnome!)

 Perhaps the trick used by dbg libs to store only the debugging symbols
 themselves can be used on all packages (without splitting them).  Ross
 seems to think these would be good enough debugging symbols, and this
 would:
 - removes the need of 2 builds
 - removes the pain of maintaining dependencies
 but I have no idea of the size impact.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
Current Earth status:   NOT DESTROYED