Re: drop pygtk alternative

Le mercredi 01 mars 2006 à 22:18 +0100, Loïc Minier a écrit :
>         Hi,
>
> Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > At the moment both python-gtk-1.2 and python-gtk2 ship a pygtk.py which
> > allow you to do "pygtk.require('1.2')/pygtk.require('2.0')" to specify
> > what version to use.
> > There is an altenative for that because other way the files would
> > conflict and people are free to install 1.2 or 2.0 or both.
> >
> > Upstream has just splitted pygtk to pygobject/pygtk, pygobject ships
> > pygtk.py now and I'm wondering if we have any interest to keep the
> > alternative? Is there people who still need to install pygtk1.2 without
> > pygtk2?
>
>  If I understand correctly, the pygtk.py of version 2.0 works to select
>  version 1.2 or 2.0?  But in this case, what would you replace the
>  alternatives with?  A Depends from the 1.2 version on the 2.0 one?

pygtk.py allows to specify the gtk version by using "pygtk.require()",
dropping the alternative would mean dropping the possibility to have 1.2
by default for the system. Every package using 1.2 will have to use
"pygtk.require('1.2')" from then. At the moment packages probably do it
already or pygtk.require('2.0') since both can be default and better to
specify the one you want to use

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher