Re: usb device no longer auto mounts

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 06:28:51PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 08:00:34AM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> > On 2/17/06, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> > > I am running 'testing', updated daily. I have a usb device that used to
> > > automatically mount and open a window showing the root of the mounted
> > > file system. It no longer does. The kernel mounts the usb device but
> > > gnome-volume-manager no longer mounts the file system.
> > >
> > > I have restarted gnome (and X) to no avail.
> > >
> > > What do I try next?
> >
> > Is "gnome-volume-manager" running?
>
> I seem to have the same problem here - my USB hard disk (iRiver H140 MP3
> player) is not automatically mounted any more. The modules are loaded
> and /dev/sdc* is created, and gnome-volume-manager is running.
>
> I can successfully pmount /dev/sdc1 manually.
>
> [6:26pm] hamish@noddy:~> hal-device | grep sdc1
>   block.device = '/dev/sdc1'  (string)
>   linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/sdc/sdc1'  (string)
>   linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/sdc/sdc1'  (string)
>
> So it looks like gnome-volume-manager is not doing the right thing.

Can you run gnome-volume-manager on the command line and mail the output it
gives when you plug in your usb device?

> On another PC of mine, PCMCIA IDE disks (ie compact flash card in PCMCIA
> adapter) are not automatically mounted, but hal-device doesn't list the
> device so I presume it's a hal or udev problem firstly.

Hal doesn't deal with PCMCIA IDE stuff because the kernel support for it is too
broken (and not easy to fix).

  Sjoerd
--
One has to look out for engineers -- they begin with sewing machines
and end up with the atomic bomb.