usb device no longer auto mounts

I am running 'testing', updated daily. I have a usb device that used to
automatically mount and open a window showing the root of the mounted
file system. It no longer does. The kernel mounts the usb device but
gnome-volume-manager no longer mounts the file system.

I have restarted gnome (and X) to no avail.

What do I try next? Or, how can I manually mount the sub device
filesystem (what's the path to the device)?

--
A ducks legs, though short, cannot be lengthened
without discomfort to the duck;