Nautilus/Metacity & Workspaces

Howdy all -

Anyone know if it's possible to convince nautilus (or metacity) to allow for multiple workspaces with different icons on them?  I.e., instead of showing the files in /home/user/Desktop, you might show /home/user/Workspace2 on the second Workspace?

I shall suspect that this is not available to me, and that if I want to do it, I must hack the source.  If so, should I be looking to do this in Nautilus (my guess) or Metacity?

Thanks for the input,

-dave