Re: Gnome registry corruption?

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 19:34 -0700, David Wright wrote:

> I run sid. Shortly after sarge was released, my problem appeared. Galeon
> dies whenever a try to save a file (but Mozilla works fine). Totem dies as
> soon as I open any file (but xine can open the files just fine.) Nearly
> every gnome app is disabled in some way, and no non-gnome apps are
> affected. I assumed this was normal, temporary sid breakage but it has
> persisted for weeks, so now I think it is corruption of some of my gnome
> configuration file(s).

Last time I experienced something like this, it was because a library
(libgnomevfs2-0 IIRC, but it was probably random) had somehow got
corrupted on the filesystem. I'd particularly suspect this in your case
as well if backtraces from the crashes don't seem to make any sense. The
way I tracked it down was to reinstall the library dependencies of one
of the crashing packages one by one.

> Can anyone tell me what the problem might be and/or how I might solve it?
> I have already deleted .gnome, .gnome2, .gconf and every other hidden .g*
> directory in my home directory in an attempt to get gnome to re-generate
> them.
>
> (At the risk of planting my foot in my mouth: weren't people worried when
> gnome introduced a registry system? And didn't the gnome people say "don't
> worry, this is an XML registry, not a DB registry, so it will all be
> okay". But can't an XML data file get corrupted just as well as a DB data
> file?)

Before going off on a rant like this, you may want to verify it actually
is what you think... Seems rather unlikely, considering that removing
the gconf backend files didn't help.