Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

Dominik 'Aeneas' Schnitzer wrote:
That statement relates to my first mail: Gnome packages going into
ubuntu first and then beeing debianized: uu/hoary > experimental >
unstable > testing. Which makes a difference for me as a user, who likes
to try out the-fresh-stuff :) - but as you've pointed out this doesn't
make a difference for the distribution.

He has already explained this is not the case. In Debian, stable gnome releases such as 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, etc, have gone into experimental and then been uploaded to unstable en masse when they're deemed to be working properly. This is still the case, even now Ubuntu exists, and has hired some of the GNOME maintainers.

The difference now is that because hoary is planning to release with 2.10, which is not out yet, it currently contains packages of the 2.9 development releases by way of a preview, and is less stable as a consequence. These would never have been in Debian anyway.

If you like your desktop to be a bit broken, this is an improvement on before - you can get the development releases as debs from hoary without having to compile stuff from source. The experience for more sane Debian users hasn't changed. I'll wait for 2.10 to hit experimental, and then maybe try it or wait for it to move into unstable. :)

I didn't meant to say this is bad thing or anything. In this point I
really dont care.

thanks,
domi.

Regards,