[SUMMARY] Esound versus Alsa versus GStreamer versus GNOME versus 2.6 versus ...

        Hi,

 Thanks to the input of various people on this list, it seems it isn't
 completely insane to try to switch to ALSA by default.  Some notes:

 - some hardware still isn't well supported with ALSA when it used to
   work with OSS

 - some hardware is only supported under ALSA

 - newer kernels which should ship with etch are only supporting ALSA

 - ALSA has OSS emulation

 - some advanced functionalities are only supported by ALSA (as some 5.1
   hardware)

 - statistics comparing the level of support between ALSA and OSS would
   be interesting

 - some applications don't deal with OSS correctly anymore

 - some applications still don't work in pure ALSA and require OSS or
   OSS emulation

 - Hurd and FreeBSD don't have ALSA

 From the above, my action plan has been updated to:
 - ship GStreamer with default audiosink alsasink and NEWS.Debian
 - ship a new GStreamer empty package gstreamer0.8-defaultaudiosink
   depending on the current preferred sound output, ie. ALSA on Linux
   and OSS on Hurd and BSD
 - request all GStreamer apps using an audiosink to update their deps to
   "gstreamer0.8-defaultaudiosink | gstreamer0.8-audiosink"
 - do not bother about esound has it will be either brought back in
   shape or superseded and is deactivated by default

 I might look into coordinating a wider sound transitions from OSS to
 ALSA, perhaps with KDE folks first, but I've not decided yet.

   Bye,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>