gnome and smb/cifs

Does anybody have a working gnome and smb/cifs setup? No matter which
way I turn there seem to be obstacles in the way.

Using smb:// from Nautilus mostly doesn't work e.g. EOG & GIMP won't
open images, Gnumeric will open files but will only save to existing
filenames, Abiword will not open files etc, etc.

Allowing users to mount by having entries in /etc/fstab isn't really
feasible for multi-user systems. Variables aren't supported
in /etc/fstab and having 10 shares times "n" users isn't manageable.
Besides once mounted it cannot be umounted (see below).

Using smbmount and smbumount has been deprecated for 2.6 kernels and
using them (at least on my systems) results in multiple time out errors.
Instead we should use mount.cifs. Which would be fine except umount.cifs
seems to have been left out of Sarge. Even then umounting isn't possible
as something (kernel cifs vfs?) grabs hold of it and I get a device busy
message.

GNOME desktop and smb/cifs interoperability currently seems to be hosed.

Or am I just missing something?
--
Iain Mac Donald