G-V-M doesn't start automatically with GNOME

After spending a couple of days trying to work out why my usb disks
didn't automatically mount I found out that gnome-volume-manager does
not start automatically with Gnome.

What is the preferred way to make it start automatically? And could this
be added to README.Debian as everyone who uses G-V-M is going to come
across it? My current solution is to start gnome-volume-manager from the
terminal and then use "Save current setup" when I log out of Gnome.

Thanks

Stewart