Re: Sound problems

Greg Foster <gfoster9055@comcast.net> writes:

> I have been having problems with my sound from day one, The only thing
> that works is streaming music from another computer or playing mp3 on
> this computer.

Oh, well, this is not too bad. But /please/ be specific: Which apps do
work for you?

> If I use system sounds X lock ups.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What do you mean by "system sounds"?

> Same results in KDS
                  ^^^

You mean KDE, right? If so, then "same results" _as_ in what?

> The error i get now from xmms is:
> Please check that:
> Your sound card is configured properly
> You have the correct output plug in selected

So which output plugin /is/ selected? Look it up in the XMMS
preferences dialogue.

> No other program is blocking the sound card
>
> Error I get from most other programs is:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

Which programs do you mean by "most other"?

> The sound server will continue, using the null output device

This message comes from KDE, right? So your issue is unrelated to GNOME.

You should look up the sound server settings in the KDE control
center. On a system with a 2.6 series kernel, you would typically want
arts to use ALSA for sound output.

> The /dev/dsp is on my system owned by root, group of audio

Is your user account a member of the 'audio' group? The "groups"
command should reveal the answer.

If not, you can add it by executing the command "adduser [your
account] audio"

Please log out of KDE/GNOME/Whatever and log back in for the change to
take effect.

Anyway, /dev/dsp is a legacy device. It is only needed for older
programs that use the OSS drivers.

KDE programs output sound through arts, GNOME programs typically use
esound. (Please make sure that libesd-alsa0 is installed, rather than
libesd0). XMMS can use a variety of backends, you have to configure
it. If you want to use XMMS in KDE, you need to install xmms-arts.

In GNOME, you should ensure that GStreamer uses esound for sound
output. (run "gstreamer-properties")

> I would also like to get all speakers working on my system.
>
> My system is a:
> AMD 2.6
> FIC AU13 motherboard
> On board sound nforce2 6 channel
> Radeon 9600 256mg video card
> 200gig hard drive
> 20gig hard drive
> CDRW Liteon
> DVDRW Liteon
>
> Does not matter what kernel I use
> I am currently using Kernel 2.6.8-2-k7

Is alsa-base installed? Are the alsa modules loaded?

> I am fairly new to Linux

Well, obviously so. ;-)

Thanks,

Johannes

P.S.: The debian-user mailing list might be more appropriate for such
kind of questions.

--
http://www.infoe.de/