Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

El dom, 06-02-2005 a las 08:08 -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon escribió:
> Hi,
>
>  I agree with Anand's POV.
>
>  I think I have stated a couple of times that I dislike the kind of
>  abuse of 'experimental' that the gnome packages do

 Then why is experimental suited for? Everyone can set his own repo in
gluck, alioth, sourceforge or any other hosting area.

>  mostly because it's
>  working around problems with the 'testing' idea (a package can
>  percolate from unstable to testing when it actually shouldn't because
>  of unexpressed dependencies -- i.e. an actual bug in the package that
>  can't be catch by the testing scripts).  Recently I realized that this
>  is also working around the NEW queue problem: by staging packages _in_
>  the archive (e.g. in experimental) you basically put a package in the
>  queue for ftp-master's attention and by prodding some ftp-master (say,
>  on IRC -- and this is a discussion by itself) you can skip ahead on
>  that queue.

  Yes, placing packages in experimental first works around NEW
problem... and why is that wrong? That places the waiting period for new
packages at the eary stages, when they are being tested, people testing
don't mind getting them from other sources, and packages depending on
those new packages can sit in experimental broken till those new
packages are accepted without arising tons of bugs.

  Why should that new processing must be placed just when the package is
going to be uploaded to Sid? When packages depending on those will go to
the distribution, with broken dependencies and breaking user systems?

>  What I'm saying is that I don't see an actual technical reason not to
>  use a staging area *outside* the archive (say, alioth) since -- at
>  least the last time I read about this -- experimental isn't
>  autobuilded.  One could argue about mirrors, but my *feeling* is that
>  the kind of people who are willing to use packages from experimental
>  don't mind much about not having certain package mirrored.  I'll be
>  delighted if someone comes up with transfer statistics that prove me
>  wrong.

 Then let's remove experimental distribution. It has no sense now that
hosting is cheap.

 Regards

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo