Re: Problem with g-v-m

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 14:34 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 01:07:40PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > I just installed Gnome-Volume-Manager (and also got udev, dbus etc.),
> > and now some things aren't working any more.
> >
> > 1) My sound card doesn't work. When executing "/etc/init.d/alsa start"
> > I only get this error message:
> > Error: alsactl restore failed with message 'alsactl: load_state:1134:
> > No soundcards found...'
> >
> > I don't have any /dev/snd*. Is this a udev problem??
>
> Seems like the alsa drivers for your card aren't loaded. udev will only create
> devices if they are there in kernel space.

Ok. I don't have time to look at this now, so in the mean time I'll just
use the (kind of ugly) workaround found here:
http://www.charlug.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&catid=11&id=136

It isn't nice, but Whopi! I got sound now! :)

> > 2) I can't access my CD drive anymore. I've been using SCSI emulation
> > until now, but I've also tried ide_cd. But I never seem to get any
> > /dev/hdb or /dev/scd. Is this also a udev problem?
>
> You shouldn't be using ide-scsi with 2.6.x kernels anymore in general. Again
> udev will only create devices that are actually there. Maybe you still have the
> ide-scsi=hdc in the kernel cmdline (or something like that), iirc that will
> cause ide-cd not to touch that drive and leave it for ide-scsi.

Yes, that was it. When removing it from lilo.conf, I got my CD back. I
still have to mount it manually though.

> > 3) This might not be a real problem, but I thought that g-v-m would
> > automagically mount everything that I would throw at my laptop. But if
> > I insert a CF card, nothing happends ( I can see in the logs that
> > /dev/hdc is created). Isn't g-v-m supposed to mount the card and pop
> > up a nautilus?
>
> Unfortunately almost everything. Hal doesn't poll ide-cs drivers for media
> changes because of problems with the kernel ide-cs driver. Apperently it will
> give you an endless stream of hotplug events if you do that :(. As a result
> ide-cs drivers aren't supported by gvm. I don't know the exact details and
> i don't have such a device, so i can't debug/fix that..

Ok, thanks for the info!

/Anders