Re: Problem with g-v-m

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:41:04PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 14:34 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 01:57:14PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > > Got a little further with #2.
> > >
> > > I had an old parameter in lilo.conf (append="hdb=ide-scsi") and after
> > > removing that i can get a /dev/hdb with ide_cd.
> > >
> > > g-v-m still doesn't mount it though, my entry in fstab looks like this:
> > > /dev/hdb        /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0
> > > 0
> >
> > Are you in group plugdev ?
>
> Yes. And cdrom and disk.

Uhm, is this on a dell laptop ? It probably is, because afaik dell is the only
vendor to sell crap that has both the harddisk and the cdrom driver on the same
ide bus.

Hal is configured to not poll the cdrom for media on certain dell laptops,
because it kills the ide performance.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-November/msg00463.html has
an explanation of why it kills performance.

  Sjoerd
PS: You really really don't want a normal user in group disk ever!
--
Any circuit design must contain at least one part which is obsolete, two parts
which are unobtainable, and three parts which are still under development.