Re: Upload of libvte4 and related packages (0.11.11-6)

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:36 +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le lundi 20 décembre 2004 à 02:09 -0800, Emil Soleyman-Zomalan a écrit :
>
> > I would appreciate greatly if one of the Debian GNOME maintainers would
> > help out by reviewing the package and uploading it to unstable.
> >
> > You can find the source directory and compiled package at
> > http://www.nishra.com/debian/unstable/
> >
> > Drop me an email if you have any questions.
>
> Hi,
>
> First thanks for the work, I'm downloading the package now.
> I'm just curious, but how have you tested the performances
> improvements ?

I tested the performance improvements by following these steps before
and after installing this new revision:

1. Logout and Log back into GNOME
2. Open gnome-terminal
3. Size the terminal to 80x24
4. Execute each of these tests 2 times before taking the value of the
   3rd run as being conclusive:

    Test                                               Before    After
   +-------------------------------------------------+---------+-------+
    time /usr/bin/seq -f "testtesttest %g" 100000      48.823s   8.697s
    time /bin/cat /usr/share/dict/words                4.984s    1.174s
    time /bin/cat /usr/share/mime-info/gnome-vfs.keys  8.234s    1.418s

NOTE: I'm only using the real (wall clock) time in the above benchmark
comparison.

> BTW have you mailed the vte maintainer too ?

I haven't emailed the vte maintainer (Arnaud Patard). I saw that the
GNOME maintainers also co-maintained the package and thought it would be
OK to go ahead and update the package. Matthijs Mohlmann's finding of
the performance boost patch spurred me to go through GNOME's bugzilla
and help keep Debian's vte in shape (as best possible).

I apologize to Arnaud Patard for not contacting him before making this
revision public.

--
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan <emil@nishra.com>