Re: concurrent X users and gnome-volume-manager

Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 07:03:22AM +1100, Graham Williams wrote:

 > At any time on one machine (home machines running Debian unstable) I
 > allow multiple users to have their X sessions running concurrently
 > (e.g., on tty7, tty8, etc). I've not yet figured out how to get
 > gnome-volume-manager working happily in this situation.

 My initial reaction is "sorry, you loose".

 You are in a situation where g-v-m just won't work.  By automatically
 mounting a device the first user that mounts the device "owns" it,
 i.e. only this user and root can unmount this device (it's what the
 "user" option does)

Could g-v-m be configured to  use the "users" option instead of "user"?
According to mount(8), it should allow any user to unmount the device regardless of who mounted it.

Sorry if this isn't relevant, I don't have any experience with g-v-m/HAL, but I have come across the problem of one user not being able to unmount another user's "user" mounted device!

 Sorry,

 Marcelo

hth,
Sam