Re: Mixer Problem

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 18:31, Michael Gratton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 11:33 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Works fine on the desktop, but on the laptop, it works on 2.6.3 without
> > udev, fails on 2.6.5+ with or without udev, fails always with udev.
> > Like I said in my previous posts.
>
> Ah, yes. Sorry. Context is a wonderful thing!
>
> > The only thing I haven't done is wiped the hard drive and reinstalled
> > with d-i.  Is that really needed to get working sound with udev?
>
> I don't know. At this point, I would try purging related packages,
> perhaps one by one, and reinstalling them and running through the
> process I outlined above. Have you adjusted udev's configuration in any
> way?
>
> (If you're not familiar with "dpkg --purge"; use with care, it deletes
> configuration files for the package as well as what is normally deleted
> doing a --remove)
>
> But it certainly should be working, I'm running a stock 2.6.8-1-686
> kernel package with udev and it works fine. The number of devices you
> list in /dev/snd does seem abnormally low. Are you sure the OSS modules
> aren't also getting loaded?

Yup, trident is blacklisted by discover and doesn't show up in lsmod,
nor do other OSS modules.  I think it must be a kernel issue (and trying
to sync my Treo 300 with kernels before 2.6.7 hangs the machine, so I'm
stuck); the drivers for the cards in these two machines must just be
both broken in ~2.6.5+ and also unsupportive of sysfs or whatever it is
that udev needs to make the devices.

When I get some time, I'll try a 2.6.9 RC.  In the meantime, it should
be noted that udev, and therefore gnome-volume-manager, conflicts with
audio for some people.

Thanks again,

-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg