Re: Mixer Problem

Hello and thanks.

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 10:56, Luis M wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 23:28 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> <snip>
> > Not always.  I run on three different machines with three different
> > sound cards; one works, two don't.  Yes, I installed libesd-alsa0 on all
> > three, and ran alsaconf on all three, and neither the regular mixer nor
> > gnome-alsamixer works on the two that don't.
> >

> If you run "alsamixer" from a terminal, does it work?
It "works" in that it starts and displays the bars and I can change
them.  But still no sound.

> > I think it's a kernel-udev interaction problem: sound worked on 2.6.3
> > without udev, sound fails on any 2.6 with udev, sound fails on 2.6.5+ on
> > those machines with or without udev.  Also, OSS doesn't seem to work
> > with udev.  And gnome-volume-manager requires udev.
> >

> What rules are you using with udev? I had to write my own rules and save
> it as 000`hostname`.rules to get somethings to work on my system
> (internal zip, DVD+RW, and others for which i prefer to have symlinks.
> and the v4l stuff that never ends with endless problems... now they work
> of course. Oh, let's not forget about vmware, nvidia and other things
> for which i had to write a /etc/init.d/local script to redo those
> devices at boot time)

Wow, editing udev rules is required to have basic functionality?  I
commend you, but that's not at all cool for a desktop system.

The default udev rules work just fine for one machine, not for the other
two.  My guess is that the other two drivers are somehow not hooked into
sysfs in a way which lets udev read them.  Or does udev and/or hotplug
have their own tables of devices to create, like discover?

> > So there's a fundamental conflict between sound and gnome-volume-manager
> > on some systems, depending on which sound driver is used.
> >
> > Happily, 2.6.9 has as one of its big changes a large ALSA update.  Could
> > this possibly fix these problems?
> >

> I'm using 2.6.9-rc2 because my microphone stopped working during the
> 2.6.8.x days and I wasn't sure if it was something introduced by the
> kernel or something weird about udev. So, I patched and upgrade. So far
> things work perfectly find in general, but no microphone support... Go
> figure.
> And i'm using a SoundBlaster Live card (emu10k), perhaps the most widely
> supported card (on Linux). (The gnome-volume-control program shows
> thousands of levels to control and none seem to be for the Microphone --
> yes, neither the ones clearly label as such. Again, go figure.)
>
> My suggestion to you: check the syslog file constantly and turn on
> bootlogd (/etc/default/bootlogd). Make sure that your devices are
> created. The command line "alsamixer" should work regardless (alsa-utils
> package). The GUI ones usually complaint for no reason or simply crash,
> especially gnome-alsamixer that @#$@#$@$. Lastly, try to run the
> commands from a terminal and check if anything is printed to the console
> or the ~/.xsession-errors file.
>
> Cheers, and good hunting!

A handful of devices are created on the laptop:
% ls /dev/snd
controlC0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  timer

About twice as many are created on the desktop which works, but their
names are variants on these, like ...C0D1 etc.  But no /dev/mixer on the
laptop, so the mixer applet fails -- but works on the desktop.

Sorry about the delay, thanks for the help.  The goal of course is
something which "just works" out of the box; anything less is a bug.
I'm happy to help find where the bugs are and fix them, but will need
some more assistance...

Cheers,

-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg