Re: normal user can shut down the system

Le lundi 04 octobre 2004 à 14:33 -0500, Kenny Hitt a écrit :
> I guess we will have to disagree.  For a system that supports many
> users, it is a major security risk.  If you are the only user of the
> system, maybe you should just do everything as root and boot to single
> user mode.

If it is for posting such moot arguments, you'd better stop this
discussion at once.

This feature allows any user *who is physically logged on the machine*
through GDM to shut it down. Any such user has the power to shut it down
anyway, using e.g. the nifty gadget called a power switch. And if you're
trying to prevent all kinds of denial of service from logged-on users,
you'll have to purge more than a single package from your systems.

> I consider it an important bug, not a wishlist problem.  Until it gets
> fixed, I've purged gdm from my systems.

I agree this is an important bug, but not mandating a removal of gdm
from all systems. And before saying GDM isn't safe, you shouldn't forget
that alternatives based on XDM shouldn't be considered safer than a
sheet of paper in the line of sight of a Gatling.