Re: mapping the keyboard under GNOME 2.6

Hello.

Many thanks for your answer!

Sebastian Kapfer:

> You can still use xmodmap and xkbcomp with GNOME.  Just let
> gnome-session run a little script at login time which invokes
> either xmodmap or xkbcomp with your keymap.

Ok, I'll take a look at it.

> > Is there a list of all characters one can
> > generate this way (and how to generate them)?
>
> Have a look at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale

Now this is strange - I'm using a pl_PL.UTF-8 locale, so according to
the compose.dir file I should have en_US.UTF-8/Compose mappings, but
I get iso8859-2/Compose mappings. <Multi_key> <minus> <minus> produces
hyphen, while it should wait for either a <period> (and produce the en
dash) or for a third <minus> (and produce the em dash); <Multi_key> <a>
<comma> produces the aogonek letter (this mapping is only defined in
iso8859-2/Compose).

> Maybe you can modify those files.  I don't think there's
> any way not requiring root permissions (which is sad).

I'd rather use the en_US.UTF-8/Compose mapping, as is seems to cover
everything I need; unfortunately, I don't have a clue how to make X
choose it over iso8859-2/Compose (without editing compose.dir).

I tried changing the XkbLayout option in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

shot@desaxe:~$ grep -i layout /var/log/XFree86.0.log
(==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "pl_PL.UTF-8"
(**) XKB: layout: "pl_PL.UTF-8"

Unfortunately, I still get the iso8859-2/Compose mappings.
I see there's also the /etc/X11/xkb/ directory, but
I don't know where to start digging through it...

Cheers,
-- Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
--
               One of the advantages of being disorderly is that
                 one is constantly making exciting discoveries.

                                                     http://shot.pl/hovercraft/