Re: mapping the keyboard under GNOME 2.6

Am Mo, den 16.08.2004 schrieb Shot um 20:23:
> Hello.
>
> I'm using GNOME 2.6 with the Polish keyboard layout, but I'd like to
> be able to input some custom characters easily (curly quotes, em and
> en dashes, ellipsis, some German characters, etc.).
>
> I've read the standard way to do it is through xmodmap/xkeycaps, but
> then I've also read it's not working in GNOME 2.6/Metacity (at least
> not the way it does in other DEs/WMs). Is this the right path to follow?
> If so, what's the solution to have xmodmap working in GNOME 2.6?

You can still use xmodmap and xkbcomp with GNOME.  Just let
gnome-session run a little script at login time which invokes either
xmodmap or xkbcomp with your keymap.  GNOME's keyboard applet isn't any
good for really custom stuff.

> I also remember reading something about the compose key, and, fair
> enough, I can assign the compose key to Caps Lock, and it works (i.e.
> I can get the ae ligature). Is there a list of all characters one can
> generate this way (and how to generate them)?

Have a look at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale

> Can I somehow define my
> own combinations (e.g. for curly quotes)?

Maybe you can modify those files.  I don't think there's any way not
requiring root permissions (which is sad).

--
Best Regards,  | I couldn't afford a cool signature,
 Sebastian     | so I just got this one.