Working with smb files

I keep getting this message when trying to work with files over a smb://
connection.

The default action can't open "*.doc" because it can't access files at
"smb".locations.

No other actions are available to view this file. If you copy this file onto
your computer, you may be able to open it.

I can browse the folders and I can copy the file to the Desktop. It looks like
Nautilus is telling AbiWord or Gnumeric to open
smb://ip_address/folder/document.doc which it can't.