Re: Next time...

Le Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 08:25:06AM +0100, Sven Luther a écrit :
>On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:59:22PM +0100, Lucas Moulin wrote:
>> Le Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:16:03PM +0000, Pedro M. a écrit :
>> >I suggest include in Gnome an easy to use finish "fron-end".
>> >
>> >This would include :
>> >
>> >- Log out
>> >- Shut down ( halt)
>> >- Reboot
>> >- Reboot with
>>
>> This has been discussed before, and a patch for GDM was provided (or
>> mentioned ?) IIRC.
>>
>> >Reboot with would explore the default bootloader configuration file (
>> >i.e. lilo. grub ) and would offer to the user elect the OS to load in
>> >the re-booting.
>>
>> I don't think this is such a good idea. How many people would find this
>> useful ? Those with Linux as a single OS wouldn't want this, and the
>> others with a dual boot can understand having to press an extra key to
>> select another entry at boot prompt, I think.
>
>Well, it is easy done with grub, you only need to modify the default
>entry or something such, which can be done with a little sed'ing, and
>menu.lst parsing. And even for only linux users, it would be good,
>since often you have various kernels installed you want to test or
>something. Or different configs or whatever.

Yes, I know about that, but still, not everyone's changing kernels all
the time, or those who do can also press an extra button ;)

>That said, it would be even better if grub would be extended to allow
>for a once-only boot option, which would be deleted after the next
>reboot or something, not sure if this is easy to do. And naturally, Lilo
>would be problematic.

I don't know about lilo as I just installed grub and never bothered anymore
(thanks to update-grub).

Cheers,
--
Lucas Moulin <lucas at brebis dot org>
"When one makes twenty million, ten thousand people lose" - NOFX