Re: Next time...

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:59:22PM +0100, Lucas Moulin wrote:
> Le Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:16:03PM +0000, Pedro M. a écrit :
> >I suggest include in Gnome an easy to use finish "fron-end".
> >
> >This would include :
> >
> >- Log out
> >- Shut down ( halt)
> >- Reboot
> >- Reboot with
>
> This has been discussed before, and a patch for GDM was provided (or
> mentioned ?) IIRC.
>
> >Reboot with would explore the default bootloader configuration file (
> >i.e. lilo. grub ) and would offer to the user elect the OS to load in
> >the re-booting.
>
> I don't think this is such a good idea. How many people would find this
> useful ? Those with Linux as a single OS wouldn't want this, and the
> others with a dual boot can understand having to press an extra key to
> select another entry at boot prompt, I think.

Well, it is easy done with grub, you only need to modify the default
entry or something such, which can be done with a little sed'ing, and
menu.lst parsing. And even for only linux users, it would be good,
since often you have various kernels installed you want to test or
something. Or different configs or whatever.

That said, it would be even better if grub would be extended to allow
for a once-only boot option, which would be deleted after the next
reboot or something, not sure if this is easy to do. And naturally, Lilo
would be problematic.

Friendly,

Sven Luther