Re: GNOME 2.8 on ia64 completely hosed?

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 03:49 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:39:28AM +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Al Stone:
> >
> > > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   gnome-applets: Depends: gnome-applets-data (= 2.8.1.1-3) but 2.8.1.1-4
> > > is to be installed
> > >   gnome-applets-data: Depends: gnome-applets (= 2.8.1.1-4) but 2.8.1.1-3
> > > is to be installed
> >
> > It looks like you're trying to install gnome-applets 2.8.1.1-3 and
> > gnome-applets-data 2.8.1.1-4. As far as I understand, gnome-applets-data
> > is common for all architectures, so -4 got build when the i386 version
> > got built, but the -4 version of gnome-applets for ia64 wsn't built at
> > that time and when you tried to upgrade only -3 was available.
>
> Indeed. I believe this is a bug in the debian archive, which should not drop
> the -3 common version until all arches are dropping it.
>
> > Did you try going to http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gnome-applets/
> > and getting gnome-applets_2.8.1.1-4_ia64.deb from there? It also looks
> > like it got to the pool today, so simply try updating and upgrading with
> > today's data before trying the manual way.
>
> Just get the source package and rebuild it, this is how i solved this problem
> on powerpc, while the autobuilder where sort of behind it.

Hmmm.  'apt-get upgrade' this morning seems to have fixed it
all -- so it would seem that the autobuilders got caught up.
It would sure be nice to fix the underlying problem, though --
perhaps, as I think someone already suggested, by having a gate
in the process so that the archives are not updated until all
of the binary packages from a single source package have rebuilt.

I'd offer to help (if I can find the time), but I have no clue
how the autobuilders work and am not even sure where to start...

--
Ciao,
al