Re: Totem changes XVideo settings

Hello.

Jesse Rosenthal:

> I've noticed that Totem (0.99.22 on pure Sid, 2.6.7) had a washed-out,
> pale picture. Furthermore, after I used it, all other apps which used
> the XVideo driver (xine, mplayer) would look like this, though they
> hadn't before.

It seems to happen to my mplayer every two months or so. I thought it
was mplayer or X issue but couldn't put my finger on it, thanks for
tracing it back to the culprit.

> I finally traced the problem to the fact that when I run Totem, it
> resets my XVideo settings (XV_COLORKEY, XV_BRIGHTNESS, and XV_CONTRAST).
>
> Here is the output of xvattr when I boot into GNOME:

Which package does xvattr belongs to? I can't find it at
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=xvattr&searchmode=searchfiles&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386

> Note that all three values have been shifted. If I log out of
> GNOME and log back in, they all return to their original values.

I don't use Totem, but still can't get rid of the washed-out effect
(well, I can run mplayer using the -vo x11 option, but it has serious
performance issues in full screen on my laptop).

> This behavior makes Totem almost unusable for me, since it results in
> a terribly blanched image. Any suggestion on how I can make this stop?

Bastien Nocera:

> Change them to decent defaults in the prefs window.

Hm, in what prefs window? In Totem I have all of the four sliders
centered, and changing the saturation and hue ones doesn't seem to
do anything. Are there any GConf keys I could tamper with?

Pozdrav
-- Shot
--
There's a difference between random people with stripy jumpers, and a respected
scientist with a reputation.                         -- Steve Kitson, ucam.chat