xkb tweaking and gnome 2.6

Hello,

I have been trying to change the CapsLock key behavior to work as a
normal shift key (I sometimes accidentally press Caps when I want
shift), and as Caps when Shift_L+Caps (or alternatively Control_L+Caps)
is pressed. I tried to modify the xkb 'group(caps_toggle)' option to

xkb_symbols "mycaps_toggle" {
    key <CAPS> {        [  Shift_L,  Caps_Lock ]       };
};

It didn't work. xev reports hat <CAPS> produces Shift_L and Shift-<CAPS>
produces Caps_Lock. Then I added the line

modifier_maps Lock { Caps_Lock };

No change in behavior. 'xkbcomp :0.0' reports that
"modifier_map Lock { <CAPS> };", which is not what I wanted.
I have also tried with type="PC_BREAK" and many, many other
possibilities, and none of them produce the wanted result.
Furthermore, I have a bunch of other xkb customizations for making only
certain keys dead and others (like tilde) not. I would like to select
these options from the gnome-keyboard-properties capplet, instead of
through an ugly script which sets my keyboard prefs after gnome has
imposed it's defaults on me... I tried quickly to wander through the
keyboard capplet source, but I didn't figure out how it reads the
available options.
I'm using XFree86 4.3.0 and Gnome 2.6 under Debian/sid. Any help
appreciated.

.jonas.
--
[ PGP public key : keyserver or http://www.iki.fi/jonas/pubkey.asc    ]
[ Key fingerprint: 2516 A57A 3012 7962 287D  B66E C1A9 157F 0A59 7A66 ]