Re: Could someone help fixing nautilus-media postinst?

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 23:04 +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> Hi, GNOMEies,
>
> I'm currently away from my Debian box and will continue to be so for some
> more weeks. Therefore I would like to ask if someone from the GNOME team has
> the time to step in and get rid of the stupid debconf question I built into
> nautilus-media's postinst in time for the tentative Sarge release.
>
> The debconf question is about which thumbnailer should be used for video
> files - the one that ships with nautilus-media or totem's. Xine-based totem
> is clearly superiour so it should be preferred if present. But it cannot be
> expected to be installed as it is not - yet - part of the core desktop.
>
> However, the new debian user should not be bothered with such marginal
> issues and debconf should ask as few questions as possible, as also has been
> suggested by Michael Bank in <[🔎] 20040811182738.GB4956@nighthawk.oase.mhn.de>.
>
> Now, my idea is to change the postinst and postrm in the following way:
> nautilus-media's postinst should check for the presence of totem. If it is
> absent, it should register gst-thumbnailer.schemas with gconf. If totem is
> present, schemas registration should be skipped to ensure that totem's
> settings are preserved.
>
> At the same time totem should unconditionally register its thumbnailer with
> debconf to make sure that it is always used as preferred video thumbnailer.
> However, if it is uninstalled, postrm should check for the presence of
> nautilus-media and (re-)register its schemas file, to make sure that a video
> thumbnailer is still available.
>
> nautilus should do the same in postrm, only vice-versa.
>
> If anyone is not away from their Debian boxen and is ready to step in
> (should not be more than 30 minutes work), that would be sooo nice!
> debian/config and debian/templates can be removed from the package, as well
> as debian/po/*
>
> Thanks,
>
> Johannes

Hi Johannes,

I've talked it over with Sebastien Bacher and Josselin Mouette about
this inadequacy regarding the package and we've come to an agreement to
use the update-alternatives facility.

I have now patched nautilus-media and totem to use update-alternatives
whenever possible. The following is a list of changes these patches
make:

* Both the totem and nautilus-media schema files now use /usr/bin/gnome-
  video-thumbnailer as the command to use when creating thumbnails.

* Totem has greater priority to nautilus-media when both are installed
  on the machine automatically and as such the /usr/bin/gnome-video-
  thumbnailer is symlinked to /usr/bin/totem-video-thumbnailer.

* Update-alternatives functionality has been implemented in
  debian/postinst and debian/prerm with patches diffed against the
  schema files available in debian/pacthes.

I have sent the patches for totem to Sebastien about 2 days ago and the
ones for nautilus-media have already been applied. I'm just awaiting
some feedback on those patches.

I would be more than happy to send them to you.

--
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan <emil@nishra.com>