Re: Network profile selector

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 20:18 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:

> Are there any real-world network profiles which cannot be detected?  My
> laptop brings eth0 (built-in ethernet) up when I plug a wire in and
> performs ARP pings to detect where it is, configuring itself and
> resetting various applications on demand.  This is done by
> ifplugd/guessnet/resolvconf and works very well.

I typically only use wireless. All of the networks I connect to use a
different WEP key. The difference between my profiles is basically a
different essid and WEP key.

I suppose it would be possible to cycle through all the different keys
and see if a connection to the given network is established, but I have
no idea how practical that is. In some cases, (actually a lot of cases
around here, where everybody seems to have a wireless AP) multiple
networks might be available and you want to pick a specific one.

The goal, as much as I hate to say it, would be something very similar
to Windows XP's wireless networking configuration tool. Linux wlan
drivers seem to lack support for network scanning in a lot of instances
though. Also, some mechanism needs to be put in place to allow the user
to select network settings without needing to enter a password, there
could be multiple levels of security from "connect to any network you
please" to "connect to any network you please as long as it is one of
the following pre-configured choices"

-Mark