Re: Installation Report for Sarge

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 08:27:38PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Sarge RC1 last weekend. I did not choose the desktop task,
> but rather apt-got the gnome meta-package along with gdm and
> x-window-system-core (I already got KDE rotting around in my main
> installation...).
>
> I got roughly the following debconf questions asked during the gnome
> package installation (priority high I think)
>
> - pango asked some stuff about defoma
> - twice(!) about the papersize
> - nautilus thumbnail generation
> - cdrecord suid
>
> Is there no sane default for the pango question which would work?  Can't
> the nautilus/totem packages figure thumbnail generation out with each
> other? E.g., if only one is installed, use that one. If both are
> installed, there should be one as default, perhaps with a medium debconf
> priority question so that the user can choose.
>
> Next some general thinks I noticed:
>
> 1. CD burning worked out-of-the-box with the initial user even without
> setting cdrecord suid. However, a second user (added with adduser) was
> not able to burn CDs, nautilus-cd-burner just always asked for a CD to
> be inserted, which was a bit misleading (but probably cdrecord's fault)

This is normal, the adduser maintainer didn't want to add those groups, or
something such, while the base-config package was hacked to do it. So the
initial user get added to all the groups, while the additional ones don't.

BTW, i wonder how you launch nautilus-cd-burner, i didn't find a menu item
containing it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther