Problems with GNOME background after login

I'm running a current sid system, and seeing a problem similar to
#230348 - after I log in, I don't get my background image unless I poke
gnome-background-properties.  I've got the fixed version of nautilus
described in that bug report installed, and changing
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop has no effect.

Any idea?  Or could someone point out where in a normal GNOME login the
background is supposed to be set - I went digging through the source but got
hopelessly lost.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz