Re: buggy pango rendering in vietnamese

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 17:17 +0200, mammique wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just dist-upgraded my sid yesterday and i noticed a bug in vietnamese
> unicode rendering. The accents should be on the "o" in the word "Pho"
> (soup) like this :
>
> http://www26.brinkster.com/dogjuice/ramen/322sunleephoga.jpg
>
> and not one on the "p" and the other on the "o" like pango does :
>
> http://industrie.dyndns.org/soft/debian/pho_pango_bug.png
>
> I'm sure it was rendered well with my previous version of pango. But i
> don't know wich one. The buggy is this one :
>
> apt-cache show libpango1.0-0 | grep Version
> Version: 1.4.0-4
>
> Correct unicode chars for "Pho" can be found here :
>
> http://teltic.vnn.vn/entertainment/huongvivn/mienbac/phoga.html
>
> Regards.
>
> Camille.

This bug does not appear in Pango HEAD (un-released 1.5.0) + Mozilla
from sid + Epiphany HEAD (1.3.2.90), at least on my system. The accents
appear on the "o", where they should, so I'm not sure if it's Epiphany,
Mozilla, Pango, or some combination of these which was causing this
problem.

It could even be a broken charset detection algorithm somewhere...

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://esco.mine.nu
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "If even one reporter had stood up during a pre-Iraq Bush press
     conference last year and shouted, `Bullshit!' it might have made a
     difference."
        -- Matt Taibbi, New York Press