Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 17:16 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 04:00:59PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 16:31 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > You people changed my view a little bit but I stick on my opinion that
> > > hiding features people are comfortable with is bad.
> >
> > The point is to hide features that only power-users will use. Let me
> > know when you see someone on a Mac or Windows using tab completion,
> > right? ;)
>
> Bah, tab completition is not a power user thing, it is a basic feature,
> and should be enabled by default.

Agreed. And the dialog that opens when you press C-l is placed on top of
the fileselector, thus obscuring the filelisting. Very annoying if you
want to look at the listing while typing the filename.

Not only that but the tab-completion works different from all other
places I know of. Maybe it is because of the dual role of tab, but I've
complete stopped using the C-l feature because it is usual a bigger
hassle to use than grabbing the mouse and navigating with that. It is
way way slower to use than the old one which had proper tab-completion.

I would bring this up on a Gnome mailing list, but I'm afraid of being
yelled at by markmc.

Thanks for all your great work,
Jens