GTK apps all appear broken on ia64

I'm presuming this bug is something in the underlying gtk code,
because the following all hang on startup without displaying any
graphics:

gdm
gnome-terminal
gaim
xchat
gnome-session

strace doesn't show anything obviously relevant, leading me to believe
the problem is in library code.  An instrumented gdm shows the hang
happening somewhere in gtk_init().

This only started when I dist-upgraded yesterday.  I'm not sure which
packages are relevant here, but gtk+2.0 is 2.4.1-4 and libgnome2-0 is
2.6.1-2.  In the interests of getting work done, I'd like to downgrade
back to GNOME 2.4, but it's such a huge maze of twisty dependencies,
all alike, that I'm not sure how to go about it.  Suggestions are
welcome.

Also, see David Mosberger's post to debian-ia64 about this same
problem.

-=Eric