Re: Testversion of synaptic 0.50 available

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 08:38:32AM -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> Very nice! I like! A lot!
Thanks :)

> Obligatory feature requests:
>
> a) User friendly "Wizard" mode. Similar to the auto update utility in
> Windows.

Planed for the future. But I'm still collecting ideas how it should
look like. I never used the auto update utility in windows so I can't
comment here. But feel free to describe what you would like to see in
wizard mode.

> b) Handling of .deb files from Nautilus. Double clicking on a .deb file
> and having it walk through the setup would be nice.

There is already gdeb that can do this. I have not implement something
like this in synaptic (you can't install local packages with synaptic)
because apt does not support local installs. That means that I would
have to call dpkg directly and I won't have dependency management.
Installing local package A that depends on the not installed package B
would lead to dpkg complaining about unmet dependencies.

There is a apt bug open for this, see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=47379 for details.

> c) Integration of the Gnome 2 Debconf front end. The user should never
> see the console. I would actually suggest forcing the Debconf front end
> to the Gnome 2 one before installing packages (keeping the existing
> setting).

This one is very tricky. I would love to hide the terminal output from
the user (and in fact, we already do this if synaptic is build against
apt-rpm). But with dpkg there are various problems. The output of dpkg
is not easy to parse and it keeps asking about changed configuration
files. It also lacks a progress indicator. The good news is that there
are plans to add features to dpkg that makes it possible to embedd it
in a friendly way :)

thanks for your feedback,
 Michael