Re: Keep non-gnome2.6 package out of the discussion please

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 02:12:18AM +0200, Dagfinn Ilmari Manns?ker wrote:
> > Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> > > Well, if arts is running, the user (or admin) sure cannot chose to use
> > > esd or oss/alsa directly, well at least not on my hardware, it would
> > > result in the app silently waiting forever.
> >
> > Exactly, the user _needs_ to be able to override the global default
> > setting in cases like this.
>
> Nope, the system should know that either esd or arts is running, and
> transparently set the correct device (or sink, or whatever) for all
> apps, be they KDE or gnome or whatever.

Precisely.  The user should not have to reconfigure the audio sink according to
which environment he is _currently_ using and then reconfigure again if he logs
from a different workstation running a differnent default environment.

In my case, fast machines run GNOME 2.x, while slow ones run IceWM.  GNOME
starts Esound, while IceWM doesn't have a native sound daemon.  Still, I don't
want to have to manually edit the sink, just because I ended up loging on a
deifferent workstation that day.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/