Re: Keep non-gnome2.6 package out of the discussion please [was: GNOME 2.6 definitely not ready for unstable]

Hello Colin,

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 05:57, Martin-Ã?ric Racine wrote:
> > 1) configuration keys whose values are the same (esdsink is still called esdsink
> > in gstreamer 0.8, it just resides in a different subfolder in gconf-editor), but
> > who belong to different releases of gstreamer, need to be manually upgraded by
> > the user, using arcane tools.  This should have been automatically copied from
> > the 0.6 keys, the first time a 0.8.x Rhythmbox version is run.
>
> It's not that easy.  Rhythmbox is just a user of GStreamer library
> (where the GConf keys actually are), and more importantly, isn't the
> only user.  If several applications blindly copied the 0.6 keys over to
> 0.8 on upgrading (violating GStreamer's abstraction layer over this),
> then you could pretty easily lose your 0.8 configuration.

Why isn't that feature global, then?  Just an idea, but IMHO the sound
support features should be configured globally by the admin for all users. The
admin already decided that kernel driver X is used to pass sound to the card, he
could also decide that e.g. Esound will be used for all GNOME sessions and that
Gstreamer will therefore use the Esound sink.  I mean, anything that has to do
with acccessing hardware belongs to the admin, not to the users in GNOME, right?

> That said, this definitely is a bug.  It's just not easy to fix.  One
> fix would be to have every application/library that changes its GConf
> keys in this way set a particular flag for whether the keys have been
> migrated or not.  On every startup, check whether the flag is set and if
> the old keys exist, migrate them over, then set the flag.
>
> Unfortunately we can't do this now in GStreamer, because then we could
> be overwriting keys that you've already changed :/

Then again, the sinks should probably not be user-selectable, since they are
somewhat hardware dependant (at the abstraction layer i.e. which sound daemon or
video library is in use on this system); it should be admin-configurable.

> > 2) Gstreamer itself clearly has lost the ability to playback certain types of
> > mp3 files and streams. This cripples Rhythmbox and, if the Gstreamer backend was
> > selected, also affects Totem and possibly other applications that are quite
> > likely being recompiled to use release 0.8.  This is somewhat more serious,
> > because it affects the quality of several end-user applications.
>
> Are you reporting these as bugs upstream?

I've been chatting with Sebastian yesterday. I gave him one URL that fails for
me on GNOME 2.4 using the new Gstreamer and Rhythmbox, but works fine using 0.6
releases. He said he would be in touch with upstream himself about that.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/