Re: GNOME 2.6 definitely not ready for unstable

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Sebastien Bacher wrote:

> Le dim, 23/05/2004 à 01:36 +0300, Martin-Éric Racine a écrit :
> > Today, Rhythmbox 0.8.4 entered unstable, with rather unpleasant consequences:  I
>
> Ok,
>
> much longer reply out of release list, this discussion has nothing to do
> with release process.
>
> Ok, you have one unpleasant consequences, but have you looked the list
> of bug closed by 0.8 ? gst0.8 and tb0.8 work much better than 0.6

Irrelevant.  If the config tools are missing I cannot use it.

> > cannot use it, because it insists upon trying to access /dev/dsp directly.  Why
> > can't it access it directly?  Because Esound is running.  Why can't Rhythmbox be
> > configured to use gstreamer0.8-esd?
>
> Because you don't know how to use it ?
>
> $ gconftool-2 -g /system/gstreamer/0.8/default/audiosink
> $ gconftool-2 -s /system/gstreamer/0.8/default/audiosink ....

That division between /apps, /desktop and /system really should go. It's not
your fault, but upstream should clean up that mess.

Anyhow, there's no /system/gstreamer/0.8/ section available thru gconf-editor,
thus no key to edit.  gconftool-2 is not an end-user tool either.

Between gstreamer-properties and gconf-editor, one of them should one work.  right
now, neighter one allows changing thta setting.

> to get or set the value
>
> Or use gconf-editor ...

There is no gconf-editor key available.    See above.

> it shows you don't know how to set a gconf key too ?

Are you trying to insult me or are you just downright blind and stupid?

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/