Re: Working with smb files

Am Thu, 20 May 2004 23:20:12 +0200 schrieb Luis M:

> On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 18:25 +0000, Jeff Rasmussen wrote:
> [snip]
>> I can browse the folders and I can copy the file to the Desktop. It looks like
>> Nautilus is telling AbiWord or Gnumeric to open
>> smb://ip_address/folder/document.doc which it can't.
> That's exactly what Nautilus is doing.

No, it doesn't. It simply looks up the information the repective app has
published about itself, i.e. in this case

        name=AbiWord Word Processor

Applications that handle gnome-vfs URIs should have an extra line here:
"uses_gnomevfs=true", plus "expects_uris" should be set to "true.

> You should file a bug (upstream)
> for AbiWord or GnuMeric. Since they probably use gnome-vfs* functions to
> access files, they might as well support URI's and not just local path.
> But, they might have reasons why that has not been implemented (yet)...

Besides nautilus, the only app to support gnome-vfs URIs is gedit, more
exactly only the very recent 2.6.1 release of it. (See gnome 2.6.1 release

_All_ others still have to do their homework. That's a very poor picture.

But given that the new file selector, supporting GNOME URIs (try Ctrl-l in
the file selector of gedit 2.6.1 and type in smb://) has only just been
released with Gtk+ 2.4, this is just natural, probably.

~/.signature under construction