Working with smb files

I keep getting this message when trying to work with files over a smb://

The default action can't open "*.doc" because it can't access files at

No other actions are available to view this file. If you copy this file onto
your computer, you may be able to open it.

I can browse the folders and I can copy the file to the Desktop. It looks like
Nautilus is telling AbiWord or Gnumeric to open
smb://ip_address/folder/document.doc which it can't.