Re: 'Applications -> Preferences -> Font' not working.

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 08:10:25PM +1200, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> When I click 'Applications->Desktop Preferences->Font' on the top left
> of the top panel a small square appears on the bottom left of the
> bottom panel saying
>
> 'Aa Starting Font'
>
> ... sits there for a while ... then disappears. Previously a font config
> panel would open up in the center of the screen allowing me to adjust
> font size and/or select another font.

Try running gnome-font-properties in a GNOME terminal and see whether
you get some error messages you can relate to us.

> The same occurs for 'Applications->Desktop Preferences->Themes' and
> 'Applications->Desktop Preferences-> Sound'. The last is not so
> important since the ALSA sound modules in 2.6.5 kicked in.

That would be gnome-theme-manager and gnome-sound-properties.

> >>I recently did a number of 'apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing" [...]
> >
> >Were any packages inadvertently removed by the "apt-get dist-upgrade"?
> >
> Not that I am aware of.
>
> >Was there a reason you were performing the dist-upgrade?
> >
> I had upgraded to kernel 2.6.5 but on second dist-upgrade I could not
> get past a 'Kernel Panic'. I got past this via mkinitrd and tried to fix
> any problems via 'apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing'.

You should not run dist-upgrade in general, that can lead to bad
effects. Run apt-get upgrade all the time and if packages are being kept
back, run apt-get dist-upgrade afterwards and have a close look at what
APT wants to do.

What Debian distribution are you running anyway? testing?

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer